Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pincushion

In January, I did a pincushion swap through a group in Ravelry. I ended up crocheting the one I made, and made it up as I went along. Behold, the sunflower:

The center is made out of Lion Brand's Fisherman's wool. I originally made a bigger center, and tried to felt it, but it didn't get nearly as small as I wanted it to. I ended up making a new one, much smaller, using a small hook to keep it tight, and doing a type of bobble. I made the center from the top down, and then stuffed it. I added the rounds of petal directly in the center. The yellow and orange petal rounds are made out of Vanna's Choice acrylic yarn in rounds of single crochet and the petals are similar to the crocodile stitch. 
I finished by closing up the bottom with a solid layer of single crochet rounds, so it sits flat.
Just the right size to fit in my hand! If I wanted a sunflower for a headband, I'd make it a bit smaller and much more flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment