Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mermaid Mittens

I just realized today that I haven't posted in over a month. That doesn't mean I haven't been knitting and baking- on the contrary! In addition to birthday and Christmas presents, I've been doing a number of test knits, part of the publishing process for pattern designers.
One that I worked on in November was a pair of lovely mermaid mittens. I actually only made one mitten, though, because I realized too late that they were going to be much too big to fit the intended recipient. I've got the pattern, yarn, and notes, in case I want to make the second (and keep them for me!).
This mitten was worked from the tip of the fingers down to the wrist, which is not the direction I normally work when making mittens. I did learn a nifty new way of casting on (involves a crochet chain, but instead of picking up the back loops as in conditional cast-on, you pick up stitches from both the top and bottom of the chain... very clever!)

I love the seaweed on the palm of the hand, as well as the lacy cuff that mimics waves! This Mermaid Mittens pattern was written by Julie Hamilton is available for purchase on Ravelry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment